Sometimes we accidentally delete some file that is needed in the future. The classic way to restore a file is to retrieve the file from Recycle Bin, but what if the file is deleted from Recycle Bin? In such circumstances, you need a decent file recovery tool such as Recuva.
One of the free file recovery programs is Recuva. It is as simple to use as any other freeware or expensive file recovery program out there. It was created by Piriform, the same company that created the excellent CCleaner Recuva download.
Recuva’s most recent version, 1.53.2083, was made available on June 15, 2022. Like Recuva Professional, it is offered in a free version but without support or automatic upgrades.
Pros and Cons of Recuva
- Both an installable and a portable version are available.
- It supports various Windows operating systems
- It has both a basic wizard and complex settings.
- Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, Vista, and XP are all supported.
- A confused download page.
- A potential attempt by the installer to install additional software.
- Infrequent updates to the program.
Features Of Recuva
- The user-friendly wizard does the difficult work behind the scenes and asks crucial questions.
- Because it is portable, there is no need to install it.
- A rapid standard scan and an optional deep scan cover all the technological bases in the hunt for recoverable files.
- Recuva offers file-level scanning, so you may look for documents that contain a specific text string.
- It can recover data from damaged, corrupted, or recently formatted hard drives, USB devices, memory cards, BD/DVD/CDs, and MP3 players.
- To assure that no one else can recover the files you see in the results; you can safely overwrite the files the application discovers. The overwrite techniques include NSA, Gutmann, DoD 5220.22-M, and Secure Erase.
- The folder hierarchy and the file can be restored if the setting is activated.
- Recuva comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
- Up to 3 TB drives are supported.
Putting in Recuva
Visit the program’s website and download the desired version to get going. The portable download is the ideal choice for someone who already has files they need to recover. When you realize you need to recover a file, you can use the portable version to do it without having to install anything. The regular installable download is acceptable if you download the program for later use and don’t need to recover any files.
If another file isn’t already using the same space on your hard disc, a file recovery tool cannot restore a file that was accidentally deleted from your computer. Your file’s likelihood of recovery reduces each time something is saved or installed. When installing Recuva, nothing gets overwritten if you use the portable version.
You must extract the software from the ZIP archive if you download the portable app. After that, depending on whether you’re using a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows, execute either recuva.exe or recuva64.exe. You can find out here if you’re unsure.
When the application first launches, a wizard asks you what file you’re looking for—such as music or mail—and if you know where it was last located, whether it was on a particular disc, disc, or another device. Although knowing where it was previously located is unnecessary, doing so can be useful when looking for deleted files.
You may select All Files from the wizard if you want Recuva to search for all file types rather than specific ones like photos, videos, emails, or other categories. On their website, you may view a list of the file formats included in each category. Only specific file types can be found when the Deep Scan mode is used free file recovery software.
You are given a list of recoverable files after a brief scan.
- Selecting a deleted file and choosing Recover are both simple ways to recover it.
- You can toggle to Advanced Mode at any moment to see options and more sorting options, like the ability to preview a file or read its header data.
- The official help documentation is available if you need assistance using Recuva, using the wizard, or looking for a specific file.
There is a good probability that this utility can locate any files that have vanished due to a system crash, a virus infection, or human error. Although there is no assurance that it will recover any specific deleted file, it is your best option windows file recovery.